For a Civil Servant, equity is a very important concept. It is a constitution value. Summary of Chapter on Equity from 'Civil Services Competency Dictionary'( GoI-UNDP Project: Strengthening Human Resource and Management of Civil Service) is being produced here for the benefit of our civil service aspirants.
Friends, I am sharing with you summary of this report with my observation. You can read this report on link given below-
3.1 Consultation and Consensus Building
Ability to identify the stakeholders and influencers, seek their views and concerns through
formal and informal channels. Build consensus through dialogue, persuasion, reconciliation
of diverse views/interests and trusting relationships.
*Confidently presents views in a clear, concise and constructive manner
*Develops links with the experts and relevant information sources, proposes good solutions
to benefit the public
*Proactively Looks for Opportunities to Promote Convergence
*Helps to Align Diverse Interests to a Common Goal
*Promotes consensus building and Convergence
3.2 Decision Making
Makes timely decisions that take into account relevant facts, tasks, goals, constraints, risks
and conflicting points of view.
• Makes timely decisions, based on applicable rules or guidelines
• Clearly explains (verbally and in writing) the rationale behind each decision
• Maintains clear communication and transparency on the reasons for the decision taken
• Identifies relevant and credible information sources and collects new data, when necessary,
from internal and external sources
• Recognises scope of own authority for decision making and escalates to the appropriate
level if necessary
• Empowers team members to make decisions
• Demonstrates accountability and rises above bias when making decisions
• Demonstrates decisiveness when under pressure or faced with complex or sensitive
situation aligning with policy trend in that field.
• Analyses the impact of past decisions made and incorporates lessons learnt in future
decision making process
*Makes Decisions in Complex Situations
• Foresees impact of decisions on the society by conducting social cost-benefit analysis
• Foresees the unintended impact(s) of decisions and takes actions to overcome them
• Interprets political and national pressures to develop strategies that positively impact the
public good, especially for the benefit of the marginalised and disadvantaged
• Gives unbiased advice to Ministers based on the basis of robust analysis, and not on the
basis of what will be welcomed
• Makes decisions for the good of the society (even if it leads to loss of personal popularity)
and defends them at the highest level when required
Empathy is about being able to accurately hear out and understand the thoughts, feelings
and concerns of others, even when these are not made explicit.
• Demonstrates active listening skills (such as asking probing questions, not interrupting)
• Displays openness to diversity of opinion and adapts behaviour to be helpful and
• Is sensitive to underlying problems, and why people act or behave the way they do
• Demonstrates empathy by correctly understanding reactions or emotions of others
• Creates a culture of mutual trust and respect
• Encourages others to read deeper into others’ emotions by providing practical tips
• Creates the systems promoting empathy
Delegates responsibility with the appropriate level of autonomy so that others are free to
innovate and take the lead.
*Provides Personal Guidance and Direction
• Expresses confidence in the ability of the team members to get the work done
• Delegates full authority and responsibility to team members to provide solutions for the
Government and community on agreed policies
• Creates a culture of trust and empowerment amongst team members
I sincerely acknowledge DOPT and UNDP for this Report. I hope that our Civil Service Aspirants will get full benefit of this report.
You can read full report on link given below-
Best of luck,
Keshvendra Kuamar, IAS
District Collector, Wayand, Kerala